Published On 8 May 2022
- Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy says “evil has returned” to Ukraine after Russia’s invasion in an emotional address on World War II’s Victory Day.
- Zelenskyy says 300 civilians have been evacuated from the besieged Azovstal steel plant in Mariupol, but fighters in the mill have vowed to continue to battle until the end.
- At least 60 people are missing and feared dead in the debris of a burned-out school that was hit by a Russian air raid in the village of Bilohorivka in the eastern Luhansk region, local authorities have said.
- The United States has imposed new sanctions on Russia, including against three Russian television stations, while G7 leaders have pledged to reinforce Moscow’s economic isolation.
- The United Kingdom says it will provide Ukraine with an additional 1.3 billion British pounds ($1.6bn) in military aid.
- Leaders of the G7 are set to hold virtual meetings with Zelenskyy later on Sunday.